Navarro Baldeweg Juan
Juan Navarro Baldeweg was born in Santander in 1939. From 1959 to 1960 he studied engraving at the School of Fine Arts at San Fernando, Madrid. In 1965 he graduated from the Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura in Madrid, where he completed a PhD in 1969. In 1971-75, invited by Gyorgy Kepes, he taught at the Centre for Advanced Visual Studies at the mit in Boston, Massachusetts. A Full Professor at the Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura in Madrid since 1977, he has held teaching positions in numerous universities, including the School of Architecture of Pennsylvania University (1987), Yale (the Eeero Saarinen chair, 1990), Princeton (the Jean Labatut chair, 1992) and Harvard Universities (the Kenzo Tange chair, 1997). His architectural works and sculptures have received various awards in Spain and abroad. He was elected an Academic of the Real Academia de Bellas Artes at San Fernando in 2000; since 2001 he has been an honorary member of the American Institute of Architects. His major projects and completed works include: La Casa de la Lluvia at Lierganes, Santander (1979); the restructuring of the old mills of Murcia (1984); the Conference Centre in Salamanca (1985); the Social Service Centre of San Francisco el Grande in Madrid (1985); a conference and exhibition Centre in Cadiz (1989); the headquarters of the Council for Industry and Tourism in Toledo (1993-96); the Museum and Study Centre of the Quarries of Altamira in Cantabria (1994-2000); the School of Economic, Business and Juridical Sciences at the University of Las Palmas, Gran Canaria (1991-99), where the library, auditorium and administrative building are now under construction.